The Chippenham Community Hub is a new charity organisation and support hub that will be run ‘by the community for the community’.
The main objectives of the Chippenham Community Hub are: –
- the prevention of poverty by signposting the public to registered organisations and charities offering them assistance for both the cause and consequences of poverty via debt counselling, general advice and other means.
- promoting social inclusion by providing advice to people who are excluded, by signposting them to services, providers, groups, and networks.
- promoting sustainability and environmental responsibility to the Chippenham community for the benefit of all.
The Chippenham Community Hub will be based at No.23 Borough Parade which will be a welcoming and safe place in the centre of town. The Hub team will provide signposting to services and support on offer throughout the town from a wide range of local voluntary organisations and charities. Local residents will be able to drop in to find out local information and where to find further support.The Chippenham Community Hub is due to officially open on 21st June 2021 but prior to this there will be meetings and other activities to get involved in.
Progress so far
- The Chippenham Community Hub has been registered as a charity with the Charity Commission with trustees already appointed.
- Owners of Borough Parade have given the charity a rent/service free lease for one of their Chippenham shop spaces for the next two years.
- Grants so far include the following: – £30,000 from Chippenham Borough Lands Charity (£15,000 per year for two years) to cover the cost of a part-time Hub manager, £4,623 from Wiltshire Council’s Chippenham Area Board; £5,246 from Chippenham Town Council’s Community Donations; a local business donation of £5,000 and a private donation of £250.
- In kind donations have included: – professional advice and IT support.
- Office furniture and general kitting out of the Hub via a charity that recycles office furniture from defunct companies.
You can follow the progress of the Chippenham Community Hub via this website and/or by liking/following the charity on Facebook and/or Twitter. If you would like any further information please mail the Hub team on email@example.com.
The Chippenham Community Hub trustees hope the new hub provides: –
- effective signposting of Hub visitors to available support services
- a quality facility to enable registered local organisations and charities to signpost to their areas of activity
- an advocate for the needs and ambitions that local residents have for Chippenham
- volunteering opportunities as a stepping-stone into further education and employment
The Chippenham Community Hub will be working with a range of local voluntary organisations and charities including: –
Alabare (Unity House), Alzheimers Support, Chippenham Borough Lands Charity, Chippenham FM, Chippenham Rotary Club, Chippenham Street Pastors, Christians Against Poverty, Citizens Advice Wiltshire, Climate Emergency Action Group, Dayspring Church, Doorway, Kandu Arts, Refashion, Sheldon Road Methodist Church, The Rise Trust, Turning Point, U3A, Waste Not Want Not, Wiltshire and Swindon Credit Union.
Prior to opening there will be a three day ‘open-hub’ where organisations and charities in the town will be invited to come along, register their interest, and arrange for promotional literature to be logged. They will also be invited to suggest any design additions for the visual appearance of both Hub and Den and review policies.
For information about the criteria to be an organisation or charity using the Community Hub please visit here. For any further information about The Chippenham Community Hub email firstname.lastname@example.org.